Today, I released a new version of our Produce & Publish server. The Produce &
Lots of upload packages often don't contain a description or don't contain any URL to the project homepage or SVN repository.
So what is the value of uploading such packages to PyPI?
- For the uploader: a convenient place for making poor releases.
- For the PyPI user/visitor: none
What I do expect from a quality release on PyPI:
- The metadata must contain a reasonable description
- The metadata should include the README.txt or at least contain a direct link to the documentation. Nothing is more annoying than having to step to repositories in order to find the proper documentation. The documentation must be only one mouse-click away
- The metadata should contain the release notes or at least a direct link to the release notes
- The metadata must contain direct links to the source code repository and to the project homepage
- I am uncertain about if development packages (modules released with _some_ internal SVN revision number) should be placed on PyPI. I would prefer having only official releases following the X.Y.Z version numbering schema on PyPI